Friday, September 9, 2011

I heart yard sales!

Some pretty good finds this week! I found 2 sales that started at 8am yesterday (most start at 9, including a community sale right by my house, so I didn't want to go too far away!). One was a little farther away, so even though I was more interested in the closer one, it made sense route-wise to hit the other first. MISTAKE! I seriously spent 90 seconds there and wondered why I'd written down the address at all. I'm wondering if she didn't have all her stuff out yet (it was raining, so maybe she didn't have room?), but kids clothes and toys were advertised and there was nary an item intended for a child.

Got to sale #2 and immediately wished I'd skipped #1 altogether! Especially when, as I'm parking, a lady backs her van into the driveway and starts loading up bag after bag! There were several tables of clothes and quite a few toys... all cheap.

I decided (after kicking myself a few weeks ago for not doing this) that if I find larger sizes of kids clothes for a quarter each, I'd load up. At consignment sales, I notice these sizes are always the smallest sections and if I could find good ones cheap, I'd have a good chance of selling them for a profit. So load up I did (clothes are in the bags)! The board game, Care Bear and Strawberry Shortcake toy were a quarter or fifty cents each. There were several large toys I would have loved to grab, but space is at a premium at my house, so I passed on those. The shoes were $1 each and barely looked worn.

Whoever was running sale #3 must have changed his mind as nothing was out when I passed by, but I was on a mission to sale #4. They were just getting things out because of the rain and everything was "make an offer." I'm not a fan of those sales - I never know what to offer especially if I know something will make me a good profit elsewhere and I'm not buying it for me!


I picked up an oversized Scooby, 4 wood toddler puzzles and a Melissa & Doug word puzzle and offered $5. Sold! (Should I have offered less?) I knew the word puzzle would easily sell at a consignment sale for $5 alone and the other puzzles could go for at least $1. At home I checked the Scooby and a similar one sold for $28! I should be able to see the M & D puzzle for around $10, so not bad!

Next was the community sale - not many houses were participating, probably because of the rain, but I still found some goodies.

I found this Mickey car in a fifty cent bin and was pretty sure it would go along with the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse set I found at the thrift store the day before (and I was right! Yahoo!). Unfortunately, I also grabbed a Thomas & Friends Annie electric train car that I didn't realize was broken until I got home. Reminder - always check things!! There may actually be a reason it's in the $.50 bin.

I also found this mint condition Caboodles make-up organizer. I had one of these when I was a teen and recently read someone (maybe a blog somewhere?) that these can sell well. For $2, I'll list it and if it doesn't sell, we'll just keep it and put it to good use.

This morning, I only hit 2 sales - both close-by. First one yielded 2 costumes for my son ($2 each), a floor puzzle, a Discovery Toys shape game ($.50 each), 8 DVDs ($.50 each), and some clothes ($.25 each). Again, there were no prices on the movies, clothes or costumes, but the husband was running the sale and sometimes that means CHEAP prices! The second sale was a bunch of Stampin' Up! demonstrators selling off retired sets. They do it every year and the prices aren't great, but I picked up a few sets I hope will do well as well as a few for my own use. I won't bore you with the pictures!


My son was thrilled with his new costumes as was his little sister... pictures do not do justice to how adorable she was walking around with the spidey legs trailing behind and the arms hanging way past hers! And, I may have been accompanied by Spiderman himself when we ran to Lowes & Target this afternoon. He didn't want to take it off and some battles aren't worth fighting. :)

She was NOT into having her picture taken, but so many things about this picture make me laugh. From the muscles on my little girl to my son holding a baby doll by the leg. Never a dull moment!

No comments:

Post a Comment