Sunday, September 11, 2011

Consignment sale!

The fall season for consignment sales has begun. I used to big-time HEART consignment sales. For several years a friend and I would get up before the sun and head out together, waiting in line, sharing our lists, making our plans of attack and catching up while we anticipated all the great deals that awaited us. I always found things I needed and great prices.

Lately, though, my heart's growing colder toward the sales. My friend no longer goes with me, so I know that's part of my attitude change - I always had fun sharing the experience and getting away for a morning. Now that I regularly yard sale and visit Goodwill & another thrift store, the consignment sale experience holds little appeal. I have to get up really early, I have to stand in line for a half hour (or an hour at the bigger ones), there's usually $1 entrance fee, and (most importantly), I rarely find much of interest or need that is in my acceptable price range. If you want Ebay prices for your items, then sell them on Ebay! If you're going to print out and attach a recently ended auction so I know how much it might cost on Ebay, then maybe you should sell it there! Is that harsh? I don't mean to sound harsh, but I am finding that the bigger these sales grow and the more that start up, the higher people are pricing their items.

I did find a few things. I picked up some dollhouse furniture for $1 and a bag that had a Groovy Girl, a stuffed Dora doll and a Strawberry Shortcake doll for $.50. I haven't fully explored the Groovy Girl market, but took a chance at that price that it might be a good one. Of course, it took me a while to figure out which one I had and there are no current or completed listings - don't know if that's a good sign or a bad one!

I bought a couple pairs of shoes for my 2-year old or possibly to resell. (I neglected to inventory her shoes ahead of time) I paid $2 for a pair of wide Stride Rites and $4 for some adorable like new Stride Rites. Finally, I picked up a bunch of Thomas trains. They were 2 to a bag for $4-$5. I thought it was a good price (another sale I went to over the summer had individual trains marked at $7!), but looking at completed listings, we may just keep them and add to our collection. Maybe closer to Christmas would be better. First I'll need to see if the James I got is part of the recall - who knows? Maybe I'll get a brand new train out of the deal!


I'm thinking from now on I may only shop the consignment sales where I'm a seller and otherwise stick to yard sales and thrift stores!

1 comment:

  1. I think the groovy girl dolls sell better in a lot. I sold Suzy Q over the summer for $8 and then a lot of 12 plus one ty beanie doll and the Groovy girls traveler for $49.99 in June. It sat for about 2 months in my store. I also hate shops who mark their items as ebay prices. If I wanted to pay that much I would stay home and buy on ebay.

    ReplyDelete