Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Inventory galore!

Last week, I had some great scores at the thrift store, Goodwill and a garage sale! I have to keep reminding myself that I'll have good weeks and bad, so I'm not too disappointed when I walk away empty-handed.

Goodwill
When I was just shopping for my family, I never looked at pre-owned stuffed animals. I guess I knew what ours had been through and didn't want someone else's! But, I'm also thinking of the ones my kids play with - they certainly have some that don't get used. Plus, Goodwill sanitizes them, so that makes me feel better. Anyway, I've started looking at stuffed animals and have found some success. Hit GW Monday morning and saw a variety of interesting items - a talking Care Bear, a baby Gund frog lovey, a Curious George dressed as a firefighter and a really soft, pretty unicorn. Wrote down all I saw and went home to research. The unicorn is a Douglas cuddle toy, which I'd never heard of, but they do sell on Ebay. Curious George looked to have good potential as did the Care Bear. Some other things didn't seem to be good sellers, but when I searched for George, a Kohl's Cares for Kids Hippo came up in the results and I'd seen him at the store, too! When I went back the next day, George was gone, but I found another frog (both in mint condition) and grabbed up what's in the picture.

Thrift Store


I was downright giddy about my thrift store finds! A beautiful mini Boden girl's coat for $4, all four Little Einsteins plush for $1-$2 each, Crocs for $1, and a Care Bear cousins monkey for under $1 (can't remember the exact price - I took a chance because it was cheap, but they don't seem to be that hot on Ebay). Oh, what? That other item in the first picture? That would be an American Girl doll - Kit. She was $2!!

We had company coming in for the weekend, so with preparing for them, I limited myself to 2 yard sales on Thursday (ours run Thurs-Sat around here). I spent every last cent at the first one and had to stop by the ATM on the way to the second! Granted I only had $25.40, but I'm still not used to spending that much at one sale. I'm slowly becoming convinced that paying $10-15 for a toy that will sell for $30-$50 is better than paying $.50 for a top that will go for $2. I only got some clothes for my son at the second sale, but at the first, I kind of wish I'd had more $$!

Garage Sale

The toys include a FP Birdbath toy, the Little People preschool & school bus and some dress-up dresses (the dresses were for my girls and one had already been claimed when I took the picture). The clothes were stuff a bag for $5. Most of the items are Gymbo, including a holiday dress and a spring dress with matching sweater and 2 capelets (these happen to be in my daughter's sizes, so I'm thinking we may get early holiday pictures and then sell them!) as well as some other tops & bottoms and a Land's End coat. I also scored a brand new pair of Stride Rite boots for $.50! The lady at the sale even said if they didn't work for my daughter, Once Upon a Child would probably give me a few bucks for them! Gotta love someone who just wants to get rid of stuff even though she knows she could make more elsewhere.

All in all, a great week treasure hunting. I now need to get a system down for tracking my purchases. I can't keep the toys I'm buying in plain site or my kids want to play with them, so I have them stashed here and there and don't want to forget what I have!

No comments:

Post a Comment