Sunday, August 28, 2011

Weekly update

(I'm trying to catch up and posting several posts at once and backdating them... just in case you got confused!)

Early in the week I hit my favorite thrift store and Goodwill to find these treasures.
Another FP birdbath (missing one piece, but it was $1.50), a Little Einstein talking doll, a Gymboree jumper, a Blue's Clues green pup, a pair of Barney slippers and some elbow/knee pads - they were in a bag of toys for $.75. I spent less than $7 on everything. I've been trying to make my thrift store trips on Mondays since everything is 25% off. The Barney slippers already sold, but I'm still waiting for payment.

Yard sales were good last week, too.

I picked up some Little People (in the 25 cent box) and this set of blue glass Ball jars ($5). They're for decorative use only, not for canning, but they're a nice set and I think can earn me a little profit - only one other like this set is listed on Ebay and it's at a BIN of $60. I'd be happy with half that!

I picked up a Thomas carrying case and lots of books (which have mostly been claimed by my kids), another small bag of Little People (25 cents for all of them) and a brand new LPS toy for 25 cents (this will probably be for the gift closet). The Thomas case was marked with $3, but the lady running the sale saw me pick it up and said she'd let me have it for $1 - YAY! I know I could sell it at a consignment sale if it isn't a big Ebay item.

I found a couple costumes, including a Children's Place butterfly and a Monster's Inc. Sulley costume - probably my best find of the day! I happened to pass by a sale getting set up (no signs, so I don't know if they were officially "open," but I caught sight of lots of toys and quickly turned around to go check it out. Laying out was a full-size Sulley costume. I had a feeling it could be a great buy and I asked how much (no prices on anything). She told me to make an offer, and I said $3 and she took it. Looks like they're going for up to $60!

Saturday, I ran out to a couple sales close to home and found these guys for a quarter each. They looked old, but I had no idea if they were worth anything. Came home and searched for "Del Monte plush" and saw several of them with decent sold prices. I still wasn't sure I felt like going back for them, but my husband told me to go for it.


As an aside, I am blessed with a husband who is encouraging me in this little enterprise. He does not understand AT ALL how I could enjoy digging through other people's "junk," but he tries to be excited when I find what I think is a great deal. Plus, he tells me he loves how excited I get over the process. He is TRULY a treasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment